Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

New press, new loader...

Been watching and learning for a while. Finally have the bench done and am for the first time ever setting up my press.
    AKA - I'm a self admitted newbie, and yes I've read the Lee Reloading book.

I'm loading for .300 Blackout.

SAAMI says:
    Max OAL is 2.260.
    Min is 1.780.

Some Winchester factory loads I have around the house are measuring in with some variance but all around 2.1x.

I've accomplished matching the Max OAL with the press. Now my question is where's a good starting point between Max and the factory stuff that I know runs without issues? Right now, I'm concerned with safety, accuracy considerations will come later.

Thanks in advance...

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualjim View Post
    Been watching and learning for a while. Finally have the bench done and am for the first time ever setting up my press.
    AKA - I'm a self admitted newbie, and yes I've read the Lee Reloading book.

I'm loading for .300 Blackout.

SAAMI says:
    Max OAL is 2.260.
    Min is 1.780.

Some Winchester factory loads I have around the house are measuring in with some variance but all around 2.1x.

I've accomplished matching the Max OAL with the press. Now my question is where's a good starting point between Max and the factory stuff that I know runs without issues? Right now, I'm concerned with safety, accuracy considerations will come later.

Thanks in advance...
    The max is due to mag capacity. You can use what your reloading manual recommends for the grain bullet and powder you're loading.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CodySPowell View Post
    The max is due to mag capacity. You can use what your reloading manual recommends for the grain bullet and powder you're loading.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    What he said.

Of note, the ogive of the bullet has to be shaped so that it doesn’t interfere with the internals of the GI Mag. Basically it has to follow the same basic geometry as a 5.56 round loaded with a nominal COAL. You may find that some 30 Cal bullets won work well for 300 BLK even when following SAAMI COAL.

Before you load up 100 rounds with a new bullet I’d load ten to make sure they fit and feed from the magazine. I’ve been bit by this before.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    300 BLK can be a challenging round to reload. Being such a versatile cartridge, with options from 110gr to 240gr projectiles, dozens of powder options, sub vs Sonic velocities, and consideration of weapon platform, the BLK can drive you nuts. As one post suggests, the operation of the magazine can be a factor in your seating depth. I tend to run C.O.A.L short with the BLK to accommodate the ogive vs feeding lips of the follower. Because of this I ensure the powder I'm using can be compressed if necessary. I also air to the side of caution by backing loads down and working up. Seating deeper means more pressure. Weight is a factor. Of course your barrel's twist rate much accommodate the bullet but beyond that I have found particular magazines' springs don't have enough strength to smoothly move the next round into battery to provide reliable feeding when fully loaded. Consider a standard Pmag. 30- 55gr FMJ's .223 Rem's have a total of 1650grs in projectile alone. 30- 200gr hpbt 300 BLK have 6000grs in projo alone. I have found that 20rds runs reliability with heavier subsonic loads. If you're running an AR platform I would suggest an adjustable gas block and even increased diameter of the gas journal in the barrel. Doing both allows you to run subsonic (suppressed or unsuppressed) reliability. And also hotter supersonic loads. Between the tweaks n tinkers on my 300BLK AR Pistol w/ 8.5" barrel and the various "specific job" loads I've developed for said pistol I would consider it my most involved caliber. Above even my 1000yrd .308 development which seems silly when I actually consider it. Best of luck, there are several people through Wes Sage's various social media outlets that are very knowledgeable about the 300 BLK.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Warren View Post
    300 BLK can be a challenging round to reload. Being such a versatile cartridge, with options from 110gr to 240gr projectiles, dozens of powder options, sub vs Sonic velocities, and consideration of weapon platform, the BLK can drive you nuts. As one post suggests, the operation of the magazine can be a factor in your seating depth. I tend to run C.O.A.L short with the BLK to accommodate the ogive vs feeding lips of the follower. Because of this I ensure the powder I'm using can be compressed if necessary. I also air to the side of caution by backing loads down and working up. Seating deeper means more pressure. Weight is a factor. Of course your barrel's twist rate much accommodate the bullet but beyond that I have found particular magazines' springs don't have enough strength to smoothly move the next round into battery to provide reliable feeding when fully loaded. Consider a standard Pmag. 30- 55gr FMJ's .223 Rem's have a total of 1650grs in projectile alone. 30- 200gr hpbt 300 BLK have 6000grs in projo alone. I have found that 20rds runs reliability with heavier subsonic loads. If you're running an AR platform I would suggest an adjustable gas block and even increased diameter of the gas journal in the barrel. Doing both allows you to run subsonic (suppressed or unsuppressed) reliability. And also hotter supersonic loads. Between the tweaks n tinkers on my 300BLK AR Pistol w/ 8.5" barrel and the various "specific job" loads I've developed for said pistol I would consider it my most involved caliber. Above even my 1000yrd .308 development which seems silly when I actually consider it. Best of luck, there are several people through Wes Sage's various social media outlets that are very knowledgeable about the 300 BLK.

What's your bullet weight? And are you running super or subsonic? I run 125g supersonic and set them a 2.2 (I like them long) try running CFE BLK. That's been my best result powder. Good luck!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xH8machinex View Post
    What's your bullet weight? And are you running super or subsonic? I run 125g supersonic and set them a 2.2 (I like them long) try running CFE BLK. That's been my best result powder. Good luck!
    My general plinking round is a 150gr FMJ using H110. Very reliable. I use a variety of subsonic loads ranging from a 150gr FMJ to 220gr all using A1680. Great powder for subs. An adjustable gas block and larger gas journal will let you run anything you want reliabily. Just need to know where the gas system wants to be.